From October 30th to 31st, October 2018, the Composites Group of the Laser Zentrum Hannover e.V. (LZH) presented their latest developments in laser-based processing of thermoplastic fiber composites at the 4th International Conference and Exhibition on Thermoplastic Composites (ITHEC 2018) in Bremen. The group's scientists develop tailor-made laser processes for the precise and efficient processing of composites.
The following topics formed the focus of the applications presented by the LZH this year:
- Laser welding of thermoplastic composite structures
- Laser cutting and drilling of consolidated components
- Surface treatment and pretreatment
- Repair preparation by laser ablation
- Development of custom process monitoring and process control for the laser-based processing of high-performance fiber composite systems
With an increase in the number of participants from 300 to 400, the event has grown strongly this year. The positive trend was confirmed by Dr.-Ing. Peter Jäschke, Head of the Composites Group at the LZH: "During these two days, we had many interesting conversations with experts from all over the world and shared our latest trends and requirements. These contacts and links are very valuable to us. "